Monday, October 13, 2008

Recipe: One Part Chocolate -> One Delicious Mug



To kick things off, we'd like to share a recipe we found. It is as delicious as any cake you've ever had, except the twist is it comes in a mug and takes but 5 minutes to make!

Dangerous Chocolate Cake-in-a-Mug

1 - coffee mug (microwave-safe)

4 T. - cake flour (plain, not self-rising)

4 T. - sugar

2 T. - cocoa

1 - egg

3 T. - milk

3 T. - oil

1 - splash of vanilla

3 T. - chocolate chips (Optional)


Add dry ingredients to the mug; mix well with a fork. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in milk, oil, and vanilla, and mix well. Add chips, if using.

Put mug in the microwave, and cook for three minutes at 1,000 watts. Cake will rise over the top of the mug -- do not be alarmed. When finished, carefully remove mug from microwave and allow to cool a little. Tip onto a small plate prior to serving, if desired. Yields one generous serving or two "more virtuous" servings.

We've found that chopping up two of our Milk Chocolate Mousse truffles in lieu of the chocolate chips works wonderfully - An absolute delight!


View the original story

13 comments:

trishia said...

fabulous recipe! I will be trying this tonight- I can see using this in leu of the "cookie mix in a jar" for teacher gifts!

Unknown said...

WOW, what a great recipe! =) I love those betty crocker bowl cakes but hate paying those prices, even after my store doubles the coupons, this recipe is super, will be in my frequently used section in my recipe folder! Thankyou!!!!!

Deb_B_Me said...

This may be a dumb question but, does the capital "T." for the measurements stand for tablespoon (then would a small "t." in your recipe stand for teaspoon?) I'd hate to mess up this awesome recipe :( Thanks!

daniboxer said...

deb, you're right - capital T is tablespoon; small t is teaspoon or tsp.
I can't wait to try this! I am a chocolate addict from way back!
Dani
Spring, TX

NJMaria said...

OMG...this sounds like just my cup of tea...or should I say, cup of cake! LOL Can't wait to try it...Guess I now know what's for dessert after dinner tonight.

Deb_B_Me said...

Thanks Dani for confirming the measurement abbreviation :) I can't wait to try this, too! Happy Chocolate Mugging To All :)

Tim said...

I don't believe the measurement Q: was answered. O.K. T=Tablespoon and t=teaspoon, but, are the abbreviations used correctly in this recipe? Are the measurements really Tablespoons and not teaspoons?

Tim said...

I don't believe the measurement Q: was completely answered. O.K., T = Tablespoon and t = teaspoon. But, in this recipe, are the measurements listed correctly? Is everything really Tablespoons and not some of them teaspoons?

sparklerawk said...

Oh sadness, I don't have a microwave. (I know, I'm weird... but I live in a tiny apartment and never use a microwave anyway)
Do you think this would work just as well if I put it in the oven?

eme said...

I added a pinch of salt and put it in the microwave for 2 minutes because the first time i made it it was crunchy inside and dry outside :(

KHoltje said...

I made this and it turned out to have a weird rubbery texture to it... Not at all what I was hoping for. Any suggestions?

Broken said...

So just a suggestion for an alteration. I tried this and didn't really so much appreciate the eggy-ness of it...so I got a little creative. I omitted the egg and instead put in about 2 Tbs. of sour cream. If you don't have that on hand I think applesauce would work just as well, but I have yet to try it. It won't end up rising over the top of the mug and mine didn't get to the point where I could dump it out, but then again I only put it in for about 2 1/2 mins. But, you can still just eat it out of the mug and it tastes great and is a little more moist and not so rubbery! Good luck and happy chocolate!

Marisa said...

I did some alterations on this recipe - tried the apple sauce recommendation which turned out great, along with subbing splenda for sugar, coconut oil instead of veg. oil, twice the amount of chocolate chips and pecans, oh and for the milk, I used skim. All in all, it turned out quite well. Thanks so much!